Recipe: Funny Honeys
Inspired by: Chicago
Honey bourbon cupcakes topped with honey bourbon cream cheese glaze and lemon zest.
"Oh, Amos just loves my cupcakes..."
You might have noticed I like baking with bourbon. To that I would have to 'fess up and say: Guilty. As. Charged.
Honey Bourbon Cupcakes
Part A: Dry Ingredients
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl
- Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Set bowl aside.
Part B: Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In large mixing bowl, blend unsalted butter and sugar at medium speed with hand or stand mixer.
- Add eggs and beat and mix at medium speed until just blended. Do not over-mix.
- Add buttermilk and honey and mix at medium speed. Occasionally stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl.
- Add bourbon and vanilla extract and mix at medium speed until just blended.
Part C: Getting Ready to Bake
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Add flour mixture a 1/2 of a cup at a time, mixing at slow to medium speed until fully incorporated. Stop mixer in between adding 1/2 cups to scrape sides of bowl.
- Put cupcake liners into pan.
- Using a cookie scoop fill cupcake liners with the batter 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden on top. When toothpick is inserted in center it should come out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool you can prepare the honey bourbon cream cheese glaze.
Honey Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze with Lemon Zest
Part D: Making the Glaze
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey (depending upon taste)
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter. Mix at medium speed until fully blended.
- Add vanilla extract, honey, bourbon and lemon zest and mix at low speed until fully incorporated into mixture.
- Add confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup increments and mix at low to medium speed.
- Feel free to add more vanilla, honey, lemon zest or bourbon depending upon your personal preferences. When in doubt, I'd say add more bourbon!
Part E: (optional) Before Glazing the Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup of bourbon
As I was saying... when in doubt, add more bourbon.
- Using a fork poke the top of each cupcake 3-4 times
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of bourbon on top of each baked cupcake so some bourbon can soak into the cake to make it extra bourbon-y
Part F: Glazing the Cupcakes and Finishing Touches
- Fill a pastry bag or ziploc bag with corner snipped with scissor with the bourbon cream cheese glaze.
- Add as little or as much of the glaze on top of the cupcakes as you'd like
- I call this a glaze rather than a frosting because I added enough bourbon to make it slightly runny but it was amazingly delicious.
- After using a pastry bag to pipe the proper amount of glaze onto the cupcakes I used a butter knife to evenly spread it. Then I went back over the cupcakes and created a squiggle of icing on top. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
- Finish with yellow sugar or yellow sprinkles if desired.
- Store cupcakes in airtight container and refrigerate overnight.