Recipe: Cumuloft Cupcakes
Inspired by: HAIR
Vanilla tie-dyed cupcakes both topped AND filled with homemade marshmallow fluff spiked with a variety of flavored vodkas.
"All the clouds are cumuloft walking in space..."
Tie-Dye Vanilla Cupcakes
Part A: Dry Ingredients
- 1 and 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Set bowl aside.
Part B: Wet Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Fage Total greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- variety of food coloring if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in granulated sugar. The mixture will be gritty.
- Mixing at medium to high speed add in egg whites.
- Mix in greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract at low to medium speed until just combined.
Part C: Getting Ready to Bake
- Slowly add dry ingredients in 1/3 cup increments at low to medium speed into the wet ingredient bowl.
- Mix at low to medium speed until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Divide your batter in to separate bowls depending on how many colors you desire to be in your cupcakes. I ended up separating mine into 6 different bowls (uncolored/white, red, blue, yellow, green, purple)
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, distribute different color batters into cupcake pan to about 3/4 of the way full. Use butter knife to create swirls in your batter by making a figure 8 motion.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden on top or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While cupcakes are cooling begin preparing the Vodka Marshmallow Fluff Frosting.
Cumuloft Vodka Marshmallow Fluff Frosting
Part D: (stand mixer)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Part E: (stove-top saucepan)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup (3/4 cup)
- Part C (after you combine A & B)
- 3 to 6 teaspoons (depending upon taste) of your favorite flavored vodka(s) of choice
- variety of food coloring if desired
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the cream of tartar over. Beat, increasing the speed to medium-high, until the eggs starts to get light, airy, and frothy.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour in 7/8 ounce (2 tablespoons) granulated sugar. Continue to beat until firm (but not stiff) peaks form. Set aside.
- Fit a small saucepan with a candy thermometer, or have a reliable digital thermometer ready nearby. Combine water, sugar, and corn syrup in the saucepan and stir together.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then, using a heat-safe spatula, stir very frequently as you cook the syrup mixture to 240°F, maintaining a consistent boil. Once at 240°F, remove from the heat immediately.
- Start the mixer on second speed and slowly pour the syrup in as it mixes until all of the syrup has been added. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl if needed, and then increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 5 minutes. The mixture should have expanded and you should now have a white creme that's able to hold some shape.
- Wipe down side of the bowl and beater with a rubber spatula, and beat for about 1 more minute until it has reached the desired consistency of marshmallow creme.
- If using more than one flavor of vodka, separate fluff into different bowls. Add the selected vodkas into your bowl or bowls, and fold in with fork and/or rubber spatula
- Add food coloring to your different flavors of vodka marshmallow fluff frosting if desired.
- If necessary, store in refrigerator to chill before decorating cupcakes.
Part F: Decorating the Cupcakes and Finishing Touches
- Using a small paring knife, cut a circle in the center of each cupcake about 1/2 an inch wide and 1/2 an inch deep. You should be able to pull the little piece of cake right out.
- Using a 1/2 inch cookie scoop, place the desired flavor/color of vodka marshmallow fluff into the hole.
- Replace the cut piece of cake back on top of the hole that is now filled with fluff.
- After all cupcakes are filled with the fluff, using a 1 inch cookie scoop top each cupcake with the desired flavors/colors of vodka marshmallow fluff.
- Use a rubber spatula or a butter knife to spread fluff evenly on cupcakes
- Add colored sugar or colored sprinkles to finish.
- Store cupcakes in refrigerator to chill.